Enrolment at Clevedon School is governed by an enrolment scheme, details of which are available at the bottom of this page or you can contact us at the school office. If you live within our school zone, enrolment is automatic. For those living outside the zone area, a ballot is held usually around September / October each year.
Cohort Entry at Clevedon School
What is cohort entry?
Clevedon School operates under a cohort entry system. Cohort entry is when new entrants begin school in groups at set intervals throughout the year, instead of on their fifth birthday. There are 2 entry points in each term: one on the first day of term and one mid-point later in the term. Children are only able to start if they are 5, i.e they begin school in the cohort after their fifth birthday.
What are the dates for Cohort entry 2022?
Term 1 Term 2
Cohort Entry 1: 03/02/2022 Cohort Entry 3: 02/05/2022
Cohort Entry 2: 07/03/2022 Cohort Entry 4: 07/06/2022
Term 3 Term 4
Cohort Entry 5: 25/07/2022 Cohort Entry 7: 17/10/2022
Cohort Entry 6: 29/08/2022 Cohort Entry 8: 14/11/2022
Enrolling your child
At Clevedon School we aim to do our best to ensure a smooth start for all our new students.
The following documentation is required by the school prior to any child starting:
- Enrolment questionnaire (forms are not available online - please see the office for this)
- Immunisation certificate
- Birth certificate or passport
- Proof of address - Power/telephone account or tenancy agreement
Pre school visits
Prior to your child’s fifth birthday your child will be invited to visit the new entrant class to:
- see the room that the child will be starting school in
- meet the teacher
- meet the students in the class
- find out where the toilets and cloak bays are
- be introduced to some of the routines of the classroom programme
- find out where some of the equipment is kept
- be introduced to some of the requirements of being a class member
- have fun while learning
The school visits are held on Tuesday mornings from 9-11am. The child can come in mufti or wear school uniform and we ask that you pack them a healthy snack for morning tea. Parents need to remain on the school property during this time and are welcome to come to the staffroom for tea or coffee.
Out of Zone Enrolments for 2023
The deadline for receipt of applications for out of zone places is Wednesday 28 September 2022.
If the number of out of zone applications exceeds the number of places available, students will be selected by ballot on Friday 21 October 2022. Parents will be informed of the outcome of the ballot within three school days of the ballot being held by email.
All students who live within the home zone described below shall be entitled to enrol at the school. To download a map of this area, click here
- North Road: All of North Road up to the junction with Maraetai Coast Road.
- Twilight Road: 2.9 km along Twilight Road from the Clevedon roundabout where the boundary abuts the zone of Brookby School.
- West Road: Up to, but not including the intersection with Tyldens Road and not including Tyldens Road.
- Papakura-Clevedon Road: Up to, but not including the intersection with Clevedon-Takanini Road.
- Tourist Road: Up to the end of Tourist Road at the intersection with Papakura-Clevedon Road.
- Monument Road: Up to the end of Monument Road, including McGregor and Highridge Roads, but not into Sky HighRoad.
- McNicol Road: Up to the end of McNicol Road, including all no exit roads.
- Otau Mountain Road: Up to the end of Otau Mountain Road, excluding Orum Road and McKenzie Road.
- Ness Valley Road and Moumoukai Hill Road: Up to the end of the public road (where it intersects with McKenzie Road).
- Kawakawa-Orere Road: Up to the beginning of the 100kph zone, approximately 1.5 km from the intersection with Clevedon-Kawakawa Road.
- Kawakawa Bay Coast Road: Up to the end of the road.
Proof of residence within the home zone will be required.
Each year, applications for enrolment for the following year from in-zone students will be sought by a specific date, which will be published in a daily or community newspaper circulated in the area served by the school. This will enable the board to assess the number of places, which can be made available to students who live outside the home zone.
Out of zone
Each year the board will determine the number of places, which are likely to be available in the following year for the enrolment of students who live outside the home zone. The board will publish this information by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulating in the area served by the school. The notice will indicate how applications are to be made and will specify a date by which all applications must be received.
Applications for out of zone enrolment will be processed in the following order of priority:
- First priority must be given to students who have been accepted for enrolment in the following special programme(s) run by the school and approved by the Secretary for Education*.
- Second priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of current students.
- Third priority must be given to applicants who are siblings of former students.
- Fourth priority must be given to any applicant who is a child of a former student of the school.
- Fifth priority must be given to any applicant who is either a child of an employee of the board of the school or a child of a member of the board of the school.
- Sixth priority must be given to all other applicants.
*This priority category is not applicable at this school because the school does not run a special programme approved by the Secretary.
If there are more applicants in the second, third, fourth, or fifth priority groups than there are places available, selection within the priority group will be by a ballot conducted in accordance with instructions issued by the Secretary for Education under Section 11G(1) of the Education Act 1989. Parents will be informed of the date of any ballot by notice in a daily or community newspaper circulated in the area served by the school.
For more information, please visit the Ministry of Education’s website