Clevedon School - Clevedon kids living and learning with PRIDE

Sign In

Kōwhai News Term 1 2020 

Welcome back to the new year in our year 7 and 8 classes. Here is some helpful information about what is happening. 

Upcoming Events:

• First Day - Monday 3rd February - Pōwhiri 10.15am to welcome new students and whanau

• Waitangi Day Picnic Lunch - Week 1 (not a shared lunch)

• Waitangi Day and a Teacher only day - Week 1

• PRIDE Week - Living and learning with Pride - Week 2 (open morning to share learning Friday)

• Learner-led conferences - Week 5

• Swimming Carnival - Week 7

• ECCS Football Fun Day - Week 8

• Photolife - Week 9

• House Spirit Day - Week 9

• Last day of term Thursday 9th April - Week 10

Seesaw

Seesaw is our new window into the classroom. It is a sharing platform where students and teachers post snapshots of the learning that happens throughout the year. This might be in the form of a video, photo, document or other various apps. Parents are able to see their child’s personal ‘portfolio’ and give likes or write comments. It is a great way to see what your child has been working on as well as providing great opportunities for discussion as a family. Your child’s teacher will send home some more information as well as a QR code to sign up. All you need to do is download the free Seesaw Family app onto your smartphone or device. For more information, or to download the Seesaw Parent App, click the link below. 

What is Seesaw?

Learning 

Literacy

The following literacy skills will be the main foci for this term:

• Written language: Fiction text focus this term, starting with narrative texts, descriptions and poetry to support the students. 
  • Oral language: Sharing, discussing and creating news, current events, flash talks and raps.
  • Reading: Exploring and delving deeper into a range of text types, including making sense of news articles and poetry.
  • Visual language: Looking at visual texts and being able to determine the author's purpose through the images.

Maths 

Fractions is the main focus for us combined with number knowledge and strategies n problem solving.

Mangahigh is the online support tool we are using this year and it is expected that students complete their assigned tasks each week. Please support your child to this. If no tasks have been assigned students have their own independent number knowledge plans to action.

Physical Education and Health

This term we will be focussed on swimming, core strength and cardio fitness and from week six onwards we will have the support of Counties Manukau Sports for football coaching. Please make sure students have their sports uniform with them every day.

Languages

Kōwhai students will continue to learn Te Reo Māori for an hour a week with their classroom teacher. This term we are focussing on developing a written pepeha to share in front of the class.

Performing Arts

Kōwhai students will be taught performing arts by Ms Odds for an hour a week in term 1.

Home Learning

The students will be assigned Manga High tasks as their maths home learning. Please support your child completing these by the due date. This programme has been chosen due to its help functionality with the higher levels.

Additional home learning will be issued throughout the year in areas such as inquiry and literacy as required. Please discuss with your child if they are up to date with their classwork and if they have any home learning. They will usually say "No" but please ask a few questions. Students may also be asked to complete any unfinished classwork at home. Please see your class teacher if there are any concerns. 

Technology and Science

This year, students will be attending technology classes on the following days: 

Room 1: Wednesday 9.30-1.00 odd weeks Group A and even weeks Group B

Room 2: Tuesday 9.30-1.00 odd weeks Group A and even weeks Group B

Room 3: Monday 9.30-1.00 odd weeks Group A and even weeks Group B 

Starting in term one we will also be starting science rotations. 

One group will attend technology from each class at any one time. The other group will remain with the class teacher. Our students are fortunate to have the opportunity to work with a specialist technology teacher, Mr Melvin Din.  

For further information about learning please click on the button Kōwhai Learning Hub

Expectations

As the senior team, the expectations placed on the pupils are reflective of their ages and stages of development. The expectations are as follows:

• Students will take responsibility for their behaviour and accept consequences.
  • Students will take responsibility for their learning and progress.
  • All pupils are role models to the younger students of the school.
  • Students with leadership roles will actively carry out their responsibilities showing initiative and integrity.
  • Students will monitor their responsibilities and will be diligent in their roles. 

Roles and Responsibilities

If your child has a role within the school please support them by asking how they are going and what they have been doing to make a difference. Encouragement for commitment to their role is always appreciated.

Eating during class

Students may eat and drink brain food at any time in class if they feel it is necessary. The following guidelines apply:
  • Water only (no juice etc.) please have students bring a water bottle as a lot of time is being wasted with students going outside for drinks.
  • Raw fruit or vegetables
  • Easy to eat while working
  • This can be at any time of the day - as and when they are hungry or thirsty

Our Contact Details

We operate with an open-door policy in the Kōwhai team, so please come in and see us if you have any compliments or concerns. The class teacher is the first port of call, then the team leader. We look forward to a great year working together to help support your child and their learning at Clevedon School.

Kōwhai team teachers

Stacey Connolly | Room 2 Teacher and Kōwhai Team Leader | sconnolly@clevedonschool.co.nz 

Anna Farrell | Room 1 Teacher | afarrell@clevedonschool.co.nz 

Juliet Herlihy | Room 3 Teacher | jherlihy@clevedonschool.co.nz