Clevedon School - Clevedon kids living and learning with PRIDE

Sign In

iPad Apps

BYO iPad for 2020 

30 January 2020

Dear parents, whanau and caregivers

In this letter you will find information about the devices and apps that will be needed for the BYO iPad classrooms next year in Kowhai team.

iPad options

Some parents have been asking for help in choosing the right iPad for their children for next year. Below you will find some information on the options that are out there and the Apps that are required for the iPads.

There are several iPad options with different storage capacity and different prices. We ask that it is not an iPad mini as the screen size is too small for regular use by our students and some essential websites that we access do not work on the minis. The iPad pro is also fine, if this is your absolute preference, but they are considerably larger and harder to carry around, so please carefully consider if this is suitable for your child. The iPad pro will also make it harder for students to use our tripods for filming etc. 

In terms of storage size, we recommend 32GB or higher (if available in the model you choose). We have found that the 16GB fills up fast and children have had to delete photos etc. regularly. 

In case you are asked whether you want the cellular option or the one with Wi-Fi only, then Wi-Fi only is perfectly fine and preferred. The cost for the WiFi models are lower and it ensures that students only access the internet when at school, through our filters. 

iPad accessories/insurance

All iPads must have a sturdy cover when they are brought to school. There are large varieties of these at different prices. I recommend one that covers the corners of the iPad as well as the back and screen. There are package options available that include all accessories if you choose to purchase through Cyclone.

A stylus pen to use with the iPad is a great optional extra and preferred but at this stage not compulsory.

Keyboards are completely optional. Some children prefer to use them and some prefer not to. We generally find that most stop using them as the novelty wears off! 

The school does not have insurance for students’ personal iPads. We recommend you look into this in case of damage or theft. There are insurance and warranty options available if you choose to purchase through Cyclone.

Apps for iPads

Below this letter you will find a list of Apps that we ask are on the iPads ready to go on day one of school. Some are paid apps, some may be free depending on the iPad you have, and some are free. Please note that some of the free apps also have paid versions, however the free version is perfectly fine.

Throughout the year, teachers may ask you to download some more apps. These will mostly be free ones, but occasionally you may need to purchase some apps or download things such as e-books. We will aim to keep the cost of these to a minimum (around $50-60 in total).

Setting up an Apple ID/iTunes Store Account

An Apple ID is your username for everything you do with Apple: It allows you to shop in the iTunes Store, enable iCloud on all your devices, buy from the Apple Online Store, access the Apple Support website, and more.

iTunes is a free application for your Mac or PC. It lets you organise and play digital music and video on your computer. It can automatically download new music, app, and book purchases across all your devices and computers.

To purchase and download from the iTunes Store, you'll need to have an Apple ID – even if the product (e.g. app) is a free one. If you don't have an Apple ID, you will need to create one before you can begin using the iTunes Store. Having an Apple ID is important if you have any Apple products.

If you are not sure how to set up your Apple ID/iTunes store account, I suggest you first Google “How to set up an Apple ID”. One of the first item in your search should be titled “iTunes: How to set up an iTunes Store account (Apple ID)”. This site has instructions on how you can go about doing this. 

It is essential that the username and password for this ID is kept private from your children. Your children should not have access to this as it can contain your credit card information and it is easy for children to spend money without sometimes realising they are doing so. We cannot emphasise this point enough!  

We have also provided you with some information regarding setting up restrictions on your child’s iPad. You can read about these, by clicking here

Setting up Family sharing

It is advised that you set up your children’s iPads under a family sharing account. Visit this website for more information and how to set it up https://www.apple.com/family-sharing/.

We are also organising for Stuart Hale to run some parent evenings in early Term 1. He will be talking about the operating features on an iPad and how to make the most of them. He will also talk about Family sharing and how to access the parental controls to best ensure the safety of your child while using their device.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Sarah Park.

Kind regards

Julie Schumacher

Principal 

2020 - Kowhai

Paid apps - Prices are a guide, as they may change 

Puppet Pals HD Director's Pass

$5.99

Book creator

$8.99

Free Apple apps - These are free on newer iPads, but depending on how old your iPad is, they may be paid apps

Garageband

iMovie

Show Me

Prodigy

Minecraft Education Edition

Google Classroom

Free apps - There may be paid versions of these apps available, however, the free version is fine for our purposes 

Google Drive 

Google Docs

Google Sheets

Google Slides 

Chrome

Gmail

Dictionary

Calculator for iPad

Educreations

Measure toolbox 

Autodesk Sketchbook

PicCollage Kids

Pattern shapes

Math slide

Geoboard

Novation Launchpad

Sphero Edu

Lightbot Code Hour

Thinking blocks fractions

Thinking blocks ratios

Classcraft

Google earth

Stop motion studio

NZ sign language dictionary

Padlet

Seesaw: Learning journal

Swift playground

Augment

Libby

Class dojo

Epic!

Kahoot