Clevedon School - Clevedon kids living and learning with PRIDE

Sign In

Welcome

Clevedon School is a semi-rural school set in the heart of the Clevedon Village, 40 mins south east of Auckland City. It is primarily a farming community although more and more families are moving here to take up a small lifestyle block.In New Zealand, schools are given a rating depending on the income and education level of the people located in the surrounding areas nearby. This ‘Decile’ rating, ranges from 1 (lowest income areas) to 10 (highest income areas). Clevedon School has a Decile rating of 10, which suggests that residents of this area generally enjoy a very good standard of living.

Welcome to an exciting learning environment here at Clevedon School. You will be living and learning in New Zealand and we know that you will leave us with new friendships and lots of good memories.You are about to take the next important step in your education and in learning English as a second language. You will receive all the help and support you need to achieve your study goals.

We know that you will be very well looked after here and given lots of opportunities to be part of a special New Zealand school. Try to use English as much as possible. Read and listen to English. Think in English!

We are very happy to welcome you to our school and to our school community.

Code of practice for the pastoral care of international students

Clevedon School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available on request from Clevedon School,  or from the New Zealand Qualifications Authority website at www.nzqa.govt.nz

An International Student is a person who is all of the following:

a) ordinarily a resident overseas

b) is enrolled at Clevedon School

c) is studying in New Zealand on a Student Permit under the Immigration Act 1987

d) is required under New Zealand legislation to pay for the costs of tuition when enrolled at Clevedon School

While enrolled here, all relevant New Zealand legislation and Clevedon School Rules bind International Fee Paying Students. In particular, this means they must meet all academic obligations and abide by behavioural requirements. On occasions this will require a meeting with staff and/or principal to discuss your child. Failure to meet these obligations may result in withdrawal of the offer of place at this school. International Students may only enrol at Clevedon School if they agree to these provisions. 

Facilities 

Clevedon School offers the following:

• Classes from Year 1 – Year 8 (NZ) for children from 5 – 13 years old.
  • A large hall suitable for 300-400 people
  • 5km from beautiful Maraetai and Duders Beaches
  • A well-set up Library
  • A fully wireless networked computer system: 3-6 desktop computers in each room with internet access. Ipads which are accessible to all classes.
  • 3 e-learning classes – Bring your own device (BYOD)
  • A good range of Audio-Visual equipment including digital cameras and video editing computers.
  • Spacious, well-kept grounds with two Adventure Playgrounds catering for differing age groups.
  • Specialist tuition in music for those students who would like to take up the offer of extra tuition ( incurs extra fees)
  • Te Reo language learning for all students
  • French and Science Specialist teaching for year 7 and 8
  • Comprehensive sports programme for year 5-8 students
  • Registered and qualified teaching staff, many with special skills and professional development in teaching
  • A staff of 20.2 teachers as of Feb, 2017.
  • A roll range of approximately 340-380 students each year.
  • Teacher-Aides with particular experience and special courses attended in support for Non-English Speaking Students.

Curriculum Programme

Programmes at Clevedon School commonly feature the following:

• learning activities in which students investigate issues and solve problems of interest to them

• a balanced curriculum which emphasises discovery and exploration; and encourages higher order thinking as keys to successful learning;

• opportunities to see the relevance of learning by applying it in a practical way to solve real problems

• learning activities and experiences (both in and outside school) which enable all students to succeed regardless of previous achievement.

Teachers adapt the programme to the students to ensure the curriculum focus for each emerging adolescent is on personal development as well as on academic achievement. We focus on educating the whole child, emotionally, intellectually, socially, personally. Students are challenged with opportunities to participate in a range of academic, cultural, sporting and technology programmes.

Clevedon School is a public or state school. It offers programmes in all areas of the New Zealand Curriculum. This includes:

Subjects offered

Clevedon School follows the New Zealand Curriculum in all seven subjects:

• English
  • Mathematics
  • The Arts (Dance, Drama Art, Music)
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Health & Physical Wellbeing
  • Social Studies

Other features of Clevedon School curriculum:

Cultural Programmes:

• Instrumental tuition
  • Choir
  • Kapa haka group
  • Nga tikanga Maori
  • Agriculture day
  • House programme
  • Market days

Sports programmes:

• Recreational sports programme - Years 1-8
  • Saturday sports clubs (netball, rugby, soccer, cricket)
  • Festivals in swimming, athletics, cross country
  • Specialist coaching across the school in a range of sporting and skill based areas

Learning Support Programmes:

• Reading Recovery

• Rainbow Reading

• Teacher Aide in class support

• Small group 1:1 teaching as appropriate

Second Language Learning:

• Te Reo

• Nga tikanga Maori

Specialist Programmes:

• Science (Year 7 and 8)

• Technology (Year 7 and 8)

Other Opportunities Offered to Students:

• Music Lessons in Guitar, Drums, Keyboard, Piano
  • Dance Groups
  • Education Outside the Classroom - Camps and EOTC Trips and Excursions
  • Gifted and Talented Education (also known as the GATE programme)
  • Sports (including: Soccer, Rugby, Rugby League, Hockey, Cricket, Netball, Athletics, Cross Country)

*Additional charges apply to some of these opportunities. Please enquire at the school office for details.

EOTC trips and excursions may include:

• visits to local tourist attractions e.g Sky Tower, Kelly Tarlton’s Sea Life Aquarium, Auckland Zoo, and various museums

• visits to farms and Regional Parks in the area to experience rural living

• visits to islands in the Hauraki Gulf including Waiheke and Rangitoto

• visits to local landmarks eg One Tree Hill, Mt Wellington

• sporting activities such as mountain biking, surfing, swimming, sailing, horse riding, boating, tramping, paint ball, cricket, soccer, rugby, netball

• visits to theme and leisure parks eg Rainbows End

• visit to local marae at Umapuia
  • school camps

Orientation programme and support services

The Principal is responsible for international students and is primarily responsible for the orientation of the students and their on-going welfare within the school community.  This will be done in close liaison with the classroom teacher and the parents. There will be an orientation prior to students starting school.

Welfare and legal information

Legislation that may be helpful and can mostly be found on this site www.legislation.govt.nz

• The Consumers Guarantees Act 1993, - about guarantees for goods and services

• The Fair Trading Act 1986 - disclosure of consumer information

• The Human Rights Act 1993, - harassment and discrimination

• The Sale of Liquor Act 1989 - purchase and consumption of alcohol

• The Immigration Act 1987 - for information on visas and permits that may apply

• The Smokefree Environments Act 1990 - legal age to buy cigarettes and other provisions regarding their use

• The Land Transport Act 1998 - for information on driving and transport in NZ

• The Education Act 1989 - students rights and responsibilities relating to education in NZ

In addition the following may be helpful:

Information on a full list of health facilities and services available in NZ can be found on the Ministry Of Health website http://www.health.govt.nz/your-health

Some helpful hints on living in New Zealand can be found on the following website www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/living-in-nz

Advice on a variety of laws and your rights in NZ can be found here www.lawaccess.govt.nz

The Pastoral Care Supervisor is available to help you find information if required.

Medical and travel insurance

Most International Students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health and can be viewed on their website at www.moh.govt.nz. To protect the school from unforeseen medical expenses it is compulsory for all International Students to have both medical and travel insurance that will cover them for the duration of their stay in New Zealand. This includes travel to and from their home country. A copy of the policy/policies will be required to be sighted prior to enrolment at the school being accepted.

Further information is outlined in the Medical and Travel Insurance Policy.

Student visa / Student permit

It is a condition of enrolment at Clevedon School that all International Fee Paying Students must have a student visa, student permit or visitor visa before study can commence with us. These can be obtained from the New Zealand Immigration Service, once Clevedon School has provided a 'Letter of Offer of Place'.

The student visa, student permit or visitor visa is usually only issued for the period for which fees have been paid, so Parents / Legal Guardians / Appointed Agent (hereafter referred to as Agent) should consider paying fees for a period which will ensure study is sufficiently advanced.

Copies of appropriate visas for both students and parent(s) or legal guardian(s) must be sighted by the school before tuition can commence

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at www.immigration.govt.nz, or from an immigration advisor licensed under the Immigration Advisers Licensing Act 2007.

Copies of the visas or permit of both parents/guardians and students will be held on file and reminders will be given at least one month in advance of their expiry to ensure currency of the documentation.

English language proficiency requirements

At Clevedon School there are no requirements for English language proficiency. All students will be assisted to learn English both in a typical classroom environment and in withdrawal 'English for Speakers of Other Languages'. However, at the enrolment interview, all international students will be assessed on their spoken English ability.

This does not apply to short stay students. Our experience suggests children will have a basic grasp of conversational English after their first term.

Attendance requirements

All international students enrolled at Clevedon School are required to attend every day school is open for instruction, unless they are ill or have made special arrangements with the school. Failure to attend regularly may result in the student being dealt with under the Truancy provisions in the New Zealand legislation.

Accommodation

International Students enrolled at Clevedon School must reside with a parent/legal guardian appointed by the courts for the duration of their study. Passport details will be used for verification purposes. Clevedon School does not arrange long term accommodation for international students, although the Pastoral Care Supervisor is available for further advice.

• In the Clevedon District, most houses are situated on their own piece of land. Most housing is of high quality.

• Housing rentals vary according to the size and value of the property, and therefore will typically be in the range of $NZ350-$700 per week. However prices may be higher or lower than this depending on location and quality.

• There are no apartments in the local area.

• There is a school bus service that runs to some of the outlying rural areas around Clevedon.

Enrolment Procedures 

An application form to study at Clevedon School must be completed and all relevant documentation is required to be completed prior to an ‘Offer of Place’ being made. Please click here to access the 'International Enquiry' form.

Once the application has been processed, parents will be notified, in writing, of the school’s decision, within 7 days. If there are no current available places, parents will be notified and will be given the option of being placed on a waiting list.  

Please note: students cannot be enrolled without a student visa and this can only be given on ‘Offer of place’. When a place becomes available, they will be notified and given 14 days to accept or decline the placement.

Accuracy of information provided

All information provided must be accurate and detailed enough to meet the school requirements. The statement at the end of the enrolment form indicating that the information provided is accurate, must be signed by the Parents, Legal Guardians or Agents.

Failure to do this will result in withdrawal of the ‘Offer of Place’ to the student, at Clevedon School.

Fees 

Cost of tuition for International Students (2017/2018) is outlined in the 'Tuition Costs' policy.