Clevedon School - Clevedon kids living and learning with PRIDE

Sign In

Term 4 News  

Dear Parents and Caregivers,

Welcome back to Term 3 from all of us here in the Totara team. We hope you all had a fantastic break. The children have settled back into the class routines quickly and it is great to see them all excited and ready to learn. We have many new families and students starting with us this term, especially in Room 17,  and we would like to extend them all a very warm welcome.

We have a busy term ahead. The children are all looking forward to sharing their completed Sculpture Art with you all. They are also looking forward to Christmas Lights.

We are now into the warmer weather and therefore children need to be in the correct summer uniform and they also need bring their hat to school everyday. Please ensure that all items are clearly named with your child’s name and last name. 

Our Totara teachers:

Mrs Laura Turton - Room 5

Miss Ella Seabrook - Room12

Miss Ilse Swanepoel - Room 13

Mrs Rachel Ryan / Mrs Jodie Boyle - Room 11  

Miss Tania Crow (team leader)- Room 18

Mrs Rachel Lutui & Mrs Cara Popping - Room 17 

Physical Education

P.E. is on a Monday. We are currently practicing for Athletics. Athletics Day is Friday Week 3. Children need to ensure they bring their P.E. gear to school on Mondays.

After Athletics we will have a chance to take part in a cricket programme run by Counties Manukau Cricket. We advise the days for this. 

Brainfood:

Students are required to bring brainfood on a daily basis. These can be raw fruit or vegetables and will be eaten during class time as needed between the start of the day and morning tea time. Please ensure these are manageable by your child. Large pieces can be cut up and placed in a container.

Book bags:

Book bags should be at school every day as they are needed for the safe keep of readers, library books, notices, etc. Parents, please help your children to get into the routine of packing their book bag every day and swapping their readers once they are at school.

Reading

Students will:

• read daily

• have experience with different text types such as poems, shared books, recounts etc.)

• develop letter and sound identification and correlation

• develop high-frequency word recognition

• read texts linked to their learning across the curriculum

• develop skills such as making connections and retelling

• develop comprehension skills

Writing

Students will:

• develop skills in using the writing process (plan, write, improve and publish)

• record letters in words in the order that they hear them

• use finger spaces and capital letters correctly

• learn to shape the letters correctly

• use high-frequency words in their writing

• develop spelling skills in their writing

• learn to write recounts about personal experiences

• learn to write information reports

Maths

Students will:

• develop quick recall of basic facts and/or times tables through the different classroom activities.

• develop their number knowledge

• practise explaining their strategies to each other and to bigger groups

• learn to solve mathematical problems in different ways

• be resourceful in choosing strategies and tools when solving mathematical problems

Inquiry

We are currently finishing off our 'How the world works' inquiry. We hope you can all make it along to the open morning on Friday Week 2 where the children will be sharing their learning with you. 

Our inquiry this term is 'How we Express Ourselves'. Children will explore how they can use different art forms to express them selves.

Our key questions are:

Te Reo

Te Reo will be integrated into all curriculum areas. We will also have opportunities to focus specifically on:

Please make contact with your child's teacher or Miss Tania Crow for any further information.

Enjoy the term with us!